This light and fluffy feijoa and apple cake is fantastic served for dessert or enjoyed for afternoon tea with a hot cup of tea or coffee.
• 1 cup apples, peeled and thinly sliced
• 1 cup of Bon Accord Feijoa & Apple Real Fruit Pulp
• 1 tbsp cornflour
Cake and crumble:
• 2 1/4 cups high grade flour (or gluten free flour)
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 150g butter
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1/8 tsp salt
• 1 egg
• 3/4 cup plain yogurt
• Preheat oven to 180°C.
• Grease the sides of a spring form tin (with a removable button)
Feijoa & Apple filling:
• Heat thinly sliced apples and the Bon Accord Feijoa & Apple Real Fruit Pulp, mixed with the cornflour over medium heat, stirring regularly so it doesn't burn
• Cook until apple is soft (approx. 20 minutes). If the sauce becomes too thick, add 1-2 tbsp of water. Remove from heat and let cool.
Cake & crumble topping:
• In a large bowl, sift flour and add sugar and cold butter (cut into small pieces) and knead with your fingers to make a breadcrumb-type consistency. Set aside 3/4 cup of crumb (as you'll use this later).
• With the remaining mix, add baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
• In a separate bowl, mix eggs and yoghurt, then make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and mix together.
• Spread 2/3 of the batter in the spring form pan ensuring it covers the base and slightly up the sides of the tin.
• Spread the feijoa and apple filling onto the batter, then drop irregular mounds of remaining cake mix on top of the filling. Sprinkle the crumb over the top (including filling any gaps where you may still see filling).
• Bake for 30-35 minutes.
• Top with preserved feijoas or apples and scatter with freeze-dried plum if liked.